6 Key Steps to Getting Your LinkedIn Profile Seen
LinkedIn is a powerful networking and recruitment tool when your profile is complete, optimised and configured correctly.
In this post, we discuss the six things you should prioritise when creating or updating your LinkedIn profile.
Whether you are actively looking for a new role or casually seeing what's out there, make sure to pay attention to these essential components to set yourself up for success.
1. Upload a Professional Photo
By uploading a high-quality, professional photo, you'll look more credible and drive more visitors to your profile.
While LinkedIn is a social network, its primary focus is on the world of work:
- Choose a photo where you're wearing something you would typically wear to work
- Do not upload photos with other people in them
- Make sure the background is plain or otherwise not distracting
- Crop your photo to only show your face from the shoulders and up
We don't advise leaving your profile photo blank.
2. Craft an Accurate Headline
When you show up in a LinkedIn search, your first impression consists of your name, photo and headline.
If you are currently working, it's standard practice to simply list your position title and company name.
- Investment Banking Analyst at Goldman Sachs
- Vice President, Talent and Learning at HSBC
- Partner and Head of Hospitality & Leisure at EY
- Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel at Hilton Worldwide
- Head Of Global Marketing at Peloton Interactive
By keeping your headline simple, you'll give viewers the information they're looking for at first glance.
We generally don't recommend creative headlines.
If you are in the market for a new role, however, consider incorporating keywords relevant to your target position - especially if you are looking to switch sectors.
- Digital Marketing Manager at Sky | SEO, SEM, and CRM Expert
- Senior FP&A Analyst at Amazon | Certified Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Manager - Corporate Recruiting at British Airways | SPHR
By adding areas of expertise or certifications, you will be more likely to show up in recruiter searches for positions related to those areas.
3. Input Your Career History
If you are in a rush, fill in the following information for each position you held:
- Company Name
- Position Title
While it is beneficial to also include a description of your achievements in each role, your job titles often speak for themselves.
Your LinkedIn profile does not have to be as detailed as your CV, and you can always add more detail later.
4. Add Your Education
By adding your education, you will be more likely to appear in searches conducted by other alumni from your alma mater.
5. Let Recruiters Know You're Open
If you are open to new roles, consider adjusting your preferences to make sure recruiters know about it!
LinkedIn recognises that privacy is a concern, as you likely don't want your current employer to know that you are in the market.
The "Open to Job Opportunities" feature is helpful because it:
- Allows you to demonstrate your interest to recruiters without having to verbally express that you are in the market on your profile
- Hides your preferences from your current employer and affiliated companies (you can read more about these privacy settings here)
To enable this setting, follow the steps below:
1) Click on "Me" next to your profile photo in the upper right-hand side of your screen and select "View Profile"
2) Click "Add profile section" and choose "Looking for job opportunities" under "Intro"
3) Add your preferred job locations and position titles
You can see more detailed instructions at this link.
6. Add New Connections
Once you have completed the key sections discussed above, start adding new connections!
In addition to reading their updates and being able to message your connections directly, you'll start appearing in the "People Also Viewed" section of related contacts, which will increase the odds of recruiters finding you.
About CV Pilots
CV Pilots is an award-winning executive CV writing firm. Our previous clients include CEOs and senior executives at the world's leading companies.
Here's how we can help you:
CV, Cover Letter and LinkedIn Writing: After a one-hour phone consultation, one of our expert writers will prepare your top-quality personal marketing materials from scratch.
We're a proud member of the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches. All of our writers have studied at top-tier universities and have solid industry experience.